26 October 2009

My Potato Soup

I love potato soup & most restaurants don't make it anymore. So I saw a recipe for it on TV & copied it down (long time ago). I have made changes to suit us, tho. I'll post the original & then my changes.

"John & Lisa's Killer Potato Soup" from Home Grown Cooking with Paul James

1 stick butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 Serrano pepper, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 whole all spice
8 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
Enough water to cover potatoes
12 oz. can evaporated milk

In a 4 Qt pan, melt butter.
Saute' onion, pepper, garlic, & all spice.
Saute' until onions are translucent.
Add potatoes & water & cook until potatoes are done.
Slightly mash potatoes & add milk.
Heat to serve.
Yield: 4 Servings

~My changes
1/2 a stick of butter
No Serrano
No all spice
Add salt, pepper, & celery seed to taste
Cook in large soup pot to yield more soup
No mashing
Add 1/2 cup or so of sliced carrots with potatoes.
I cook mine for 2 hours or more, not just until potatoes are done.

~Nice toppings:
Bread & butter
Club Crackers
Sliced green onions
Shredded cheddar
Crumbled Crisp Bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment