26 October 2009

Homemade Blueberry Scone-Thingies

I made Conni's scone recipe today. I had blueberries on hand (thanks Becca), so that's what I used. But blackberries are my fave!

2 c + 3 Tb flour, Divided*
1 Tb baking powder
3 Tb sugar
1/8 tsp kosher or sea salt (I had table salt, so that's what I used)
6 1/2 Tb cold butter, Divided*
1 Tb vanilla
1 c cold half & half (I just had 2% milk, so that's what I used)
1 c frozen blackberries (I had blueberries on hand, so that's what I used)

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Place frozen blackberries in a small bowl, and toss with 1 Tb of the flour.
Put bowl back in the freezer or you will end up with mush instead of berries.
In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (remaining flour, baking powder, salt & sugar). Cut 6 Tb of the butter into small pieces, and then "cut" into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or fork, or knives.
Butter should not have any pieces larger than a pea. (I used my hands instead of a fork like I saw Barefoot Contessa do.)
Stir in vanilla and half & half, until just mixed.
Take blackberries out of the freezer, and with floured hands, gently work the blackberries into the dough.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and pat it into a square-ish shape.
With a knife, cut dough in half each way, making 4 squares.
Cut each square diagonally, making 8 triangles.
Place triangles onto a baking sheet or stone. (I have a well-seasoned baking stone, you may want to line your stone/sheet with parchment paper.)
Take the remaining 1/2 Tb of cold butter, and cut it into 8 tiny pieces.
Place one piece on top of each scone.
Bake for about 15-17 minutes, until scones are just turning golden brown.
Remove to a cooling rack.
Serve warm or cold.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment